Monday, June 10, 2013

Forecast dry and warm, except when it isn't

For some reason, in January and February when the "commitment" dates came around, I thought it would be a good idea to agree to do three art show/sales (two of them outdoors) in one month. Number two, and the first outdoor one, was this past weekend. The weather has been warm and very dry for weeks. Friday was perfectly fine, in common with the previous two weeks. Sunday was pretty darn nice. Saturday, the day of the outdoor show, poured rain the entire day. Outdoor art shows, like horse shows, tend to carry on unless the conditions are abysmal, so the show went ahead, albeit without a full complement of exhibitors and with a rather limited number of attendees. Despite that, and because of my nice display tent and the five(!) layers of clothing I had on,  I had a good enough time. Mercifully for all concerned, the show organizers decided to give us all a break by closing down two hours early. I appreciated that! Here's hoping for sunshine and no wind on the day of the next one--Saturday June 22. 

I stopped by one of my traditional summer haunts one day last week, to check out the pelicans at the weir. There were lots of them hunkered down on one of the little islands in the river, too far away for decent shots, but I got a chance at the few that were fishing closer to the observation area. This fellow was relocating to see if the fish were more plentiful on the west side of the river.


A notable feature of Saskatoon is the large number of trees, all hand planted at some point in the city's history. Spadina Crescent (the road that goes along the river and by the weir and the pelicans) is a leafy tunnel in the summer.  I caught this shot of the American elms lining the street as I was heading home from the pelican photo shoot. We are fortunate that to date Dutch elm disease has not struck the many elms of the city. This is partly due to the educational efforts of local tree advocates such as SOS elms, of which my husband is a member.


The downside of elms is the unbelievable number of seeds they produce and distribute about the neighbourhood. There are a few elms in our immediate vicinity, including one on our property, and shot two shows the pile of shed seeds from the past couple of weeks. Usually we get a good downpour of rain just after the seeds hit the ground, and they get washed into deep drain-plugging mats as in the photo. We'll have to go and shovel them once they have dried out a bit. Each seed is about the size of an old-fashioned rolled oat flake, so the number of potential trees this grouping alone represents is astounding.  
                                          

The irises are out and looking good with the cool and damp weather of the past days. This shot shows what I call our "family heritage" irises. My mother had these along the south side of the house I grew up in, and I dug some up when they left that house several decades ago. Over the years I shared them with family and friends, luckily, as when I realized a few years ago that mine had died out, I was able to get some from my sister just before she moved to BC. This is the first year that they have really put on a nice display, and it's lovely to see them again in all their glory.


Shot five is a recent addition to my "vintage ladies" series of artworks. Going by her clothing and general look, I'm guessing she is from the 1920s. I merged her with a graffiti poem and the colourful painted and weathered boards on the local school skating rink. You can see others in this series on my new Fine Art America website, www.1-judy-wood.artistwebsites.com , in the "Vintage" gallery. 


No comments: