Monday, March 25, 2013

I'm back, more or less

Regular readers of this blog will have noted my MIA status for the past couple of weeks. I had a total hip replacement (right side) on March 5th, and wasn't sure how long it would be before I was up to / felt like posting again, but apparently tonight is the night. It's not going to be more than a nod to the process, but at least it's something.

Short version is : surgery Tuesday AM March 5, hospital time (mostly hellish for various reasons) three days, home again Friday March 8th at noon and darn glad to be back in my own environment. I think my recovery is going well. I have ditched the walker and can navigate all over the house (including the many stairs connecting various levels) with just my cane, and can cross small rooms without even the cane, although it feels a bit unstable. I've been pretty much housebound but that seems better than the alternative considering the vicious cold, extensive snow and high winds with drifting that we've had up until the last couple of days. Doing a fair amount of lying about, getting lots of reading done, and am now able to do a bit of minor puttering in the studio. I do somewhat mourn the loss of the photo ops I could have had at the height of the wind and snow, but I guess we can't have everything. 

Shot one shows an experiment I did with Photoshop brushes created from some of my raven shots. I've never had a handle on how to do my own brushes, but after an inspirational talk/demo a few weeks back at the Saskatoon Camera Club (thanks, Ken Greenhorn!) I'm now doing some serious thinking about making brushes and the various ways I can use them. This isn't a very sophisticated application, but I can see the potential.


Shot two is one I have been playing around with for a bit. I have used this particular mare in a number of applications in my artwork as she lends herself to so many treatments. I think of this version as "A Midsummer Night's Mare".


One of my current projects is printing up a bunch of Boxer themed greeting cards that I will donate to Boxer Rescue Canada for sale at their booth at the upcoming (late April) Pet Expo in Calgary. This one features my own BRC boy, Rony.