Monday, February 11, 2013

He's here!

This time last week I was eagerly anticipating the arrival of our new dog, Rony, via Boxer Rescue Canada. He arrived late (as in 4 or so in the morning) Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning and so far he seems like the perfect match for us. I hope he feels the same way. He is settling in nicely, and it seems like he's been a family member for much longer than the few days we've had him. I mentioned last week that one of the lessons learned from our last "direct from owner" dog is that with a good rescue you will be getting a dog that has been fostered by experienced dog people, and they (and you) will be assessed by the rescue to be sure that the best possible placement is made for both dog and people. I'd say they did a stellar job with this one. Boxers are not a breed for everyone as they are very high maintenance, energetic, and a bit on the loony side. They seem to be on a bit of an upswing in popularity around here just now, and as a result I know there will be a lot more ending up in shelters and being moved along as their new owners realize just what they have taken on. As with any breed, a lot of research and education is necessary before selecting a canine companion. 

Shot one shows Rony as he was last fall, in the shelter in California where he ended up. I'd love to know his history and how he came to be there, but that will always be an unknown. Luckily for all concerned, he was one of several brought up to Canada from California high-kill shelters, where they would almost certainly have been euthanized.  So many good dogs of all breeds end up in these circumstances through no fault of their own, and with the faltering economies of North America, it's getting worse all the time.


Here is Rony late last week, enjoying the comforts of his dog bed in the studio where he spends much of his time keeping track of me as I work. Quite a change from how he looked last fall, and all thanks to his foster care home.


I  recently bought a new camera that I am trying to figure out. It's the first non SLR that I have owned, and while in theory it is less complex than my Nikons, it's a whole different style from what I am used to. My unfamiliarity with this kind of camera isn't helped by the fact that the only user guide is a CD that I have to consult via the computer, and the fact that the in-camera settings menus seem to appear and disappear randomly. Just because you've found a setting once doesn't necessarily mean you'll ever see it again, no matter how diligently you search. Shot three was taken with the new camera last week when we had these wonderful mare's tails covering the sky. This camera  has a 25-600mm (constant at 2.8 f stop throughout the entire zoom range) zoom which means it will be very versatile for shooting both close at hand and at a considerable distance. If I ever figure out how to use it, it will prove a handy addition to my collection.


Yesterday I did a client photo shoot at the dog park near the river. As I was finishing up and working my way back to the car, this wonderful young Great Dane appeared, bouncing over the snow.


Friday is the start of the second annual Equine Expo here in Saskatoon, at Prairieland Park. I've been working up some new equine themed images for my art and photography booth at the Expo. This is a wonderful event for riders and non-riders alike, and I encourage anyone with an interest to come out and take it in. I'll be in Hall B, booth 54. I hope to see you there. Shot five is one of the new works, featuring my gelding Alpac (somewhat modified from real life!).


1 comment:

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Can't believe I missed your new pup. Oh my goodness is he a handsome one. I hope you have a long and happy life together and look forward to seeing and hearing more about him :)